An overview of the nostr protocol for discussion on March 20, 2023.
Why did we need it?
- Decentralize the web: resist censorship, regain privacy, avoid the algos
- Blockchains can't do this: the web is 175 zettabytes = 350 bitcoin nodes x 8 billion people with no redundancy
- Free speech: rights of the consumer vs. rights of the platform
What is it?
- Notes and Other Stuff Transmitted by Relay
How does it work?
What can it do?
- "Twitter" and other social media
- Scalable decentralized apps without a blockchain or token
- Check the math
What can't it do?
- Trustless prevention of double spends
- Consistency: no single global state
How is it going?
How do I join?
What comes next?
- Zaps (NIP-57): Micropayments and content monetization
- Badges (NIP-58): "NFT" use cases like "access", "community", "accomplishment" without a speculative token
- Nostr 2.0?
- purple pill -> orange pill